Sunday, April 28, 2013

Part 2- The Journey to Discovering My Purpose

This past Thursday, in There's More to Life Than Being Happy, I shared with you my twofold purpose to life: 1. Spreading happiness and 2. Imparting the knowledge I have unto others. The following is what led to that discovery.

A few years ago, back when I was still an undergrad, I became a volunteer tour guide for the University of Minnesota Duluth. While this position stuck me in left field of my comfort zone (now that's a story for another post), it was one of the best decisions I made during my undergrad years. Every week I would meet new potential students. Not only would I share with them everything UMD had to offer, but I always shared general advice about college; tidbits they would be able to take with them, no matter where they chose to attend school. It was always so satisfying sharing my experiences with them in order to better facilitate success in their futures.

Looking even further back to high school, I recall that I initially had planned on going to college in order to become a teacher. During my senior year I volunteered at a local elementary school. Over the course of my time there, I assisted students that needed extra help with phonograms, reading, math, and counting money. It was rewarding to see the progress students would make from week to week. And while I enjoyed my time there, I came to learn that I wasn’t suited for dealing with all the excess flow of snot and turned away from the teacher aspiration.

Returning to more recent times, last year I served as a Hearing Officer in the Office of Student Conduct. As part of my job, I would meet with students who had broken UMD’s student conduct code. Rather than merely telling students they had done wrong and sanction them, I would have educational conversations with them. I would get students to reflect upon the incident; we would discus how it could have gone differently and how it could be avoided in the future. I would share information, resources, and experiences to help students move past their specific infractions and get them to focus on their future. These meetings always brought me satisfaction because I knew I was helping to turn students around and assist them in getting to graduation. Reflecting on all these instances, I realized that I find meaning in helping others succeed by sharing what I know and by teaching them.

So if you’re still struggling to find a purpose to your life, stop searching and start reflecting. I bet you already have one, just like I did, you just haven’t realized it yet. So contemplate the activities in your past that have brought you satisfaction. I just bet you they may be related to your life meaning.

Please check back later this week for Part 3- Why Your Company Needs to Have a Purpose

photo credit: raphael.chekroun via photopin cc

No comments: